Every day workers sustain on-the-job eye injuries. The vast majority of them are preventable if proper protective eyewear is used and defined safety measures are followed.
Eye protection must be worn by you if there is a risk of injury to the eyes. The requirement for wearing eye protection for given activities are typically identified during the risk assessment. The method statements will define when eye protection is required.
From a legal point of view, employers and their employees have to comply with ‘The Personal Protective Equipment Regulations 2002’ and ‘The Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations 1992 (as amended)’ which provide the main requirements related to PPE. However, have been amended by ‘The Personal Protective Equipment (Enforcement) Regulations 2018’.
Our eye protection toolbox talk helps employers keep their employees safe and reduce health and safety issues for those carrying out tasks where there are hazards as flying debris, chips and dust amongst others.
Items Covered in the Eye Protection Toolbox Talk
Our eye protection toolbox talk is split up in following sections:
- Introduction: Provides a summary of why eye protection needs to be used.
- The Dangers: This section describes some of the hazards in a workplace where eye protection should be used to reduce the risk.
- Activities Requiring Eye Protection: Outline some of the typical activities across industries where eye protection is required.
- Control Measures: Defines the precautions that should be taken to reduce the risk of damaging your eyes and ensure you are not left with limited sight or none at all.
- The Law: List regulations that employers are obligated to comply with, when working in an environment where personnel protective equipment (PPE) is required.
- Toolbox Talk Questions: Includes a few questions to assess attendees understanding of the eye protection toolbox talk.
Each of our toolbox talks include an additional page where relevant dangers on site can be identified and discussed, together with an attendance list where participants can be recorded and sign.
Purchase our Eye Protection Toolbox Talk to keep your employees safe, or take advantage of our toolbox talk packages which contains a range of our toolbox talks at a reduced price.