Any lifting carried out in the workplace is from legal point of view covered by the Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998 (LOLER).
The regulation applies to you if you are an employer or self-employed person who is carrying out lifts or overseeing lifting operations within a workplace.
Lifting is when any object or person is either lifted from or lowered, which means that a wide range of scenarios are considered lifting according to LOLER.
Some of those include, but is not limited to:
- Using an excavator and a sling/chain to lift an object up and move it to a different location.
- Using mobile platform for a person to reach.
- Use of cranes on a construction site.
Our lifting operations toolbox talk helps keep employees safe and reduce health and safety issues in workplaces where lifting operations are carried out.
If you are carrying out lifting operations at work, our Safe use of Lifting Equipment Toolbox Talk might also be of interest to you.
Items Covered in the Lifting Operations Toolbox Talk
Our lifting operations toolbox talk is split up in following sections:
- Introduction: Provides an overview of what is considered lifting and have to comply with the LOLER regulation.
- The Dangers: Describes various scenarios that could increase the hazards during lifting operations.
- Control Measures:
- Planning the Lift: Defines how a lift need to be planned and what should be included in the lifting plan.
- Controlling the Lift: Covers how to ensure a controlled lift.
- The Law: List regulations that employers are obligated to comply with when carrying out lifting operations at work.
- Toolbox Talk Questions: Includes a few questions to assess attendees understanding of the toolbox talk.
Each of our toolbox talks include an additional page where relevant dangers on site can be identified and discussed, together with an attendance list where participants can be recorded and sign.
Purchase our Lifting Operations Toolbox Talk to keep your employees safe, or take advantage of our toolbox talk packages which contains a range of our toolbox talks at a reduced price.