Standard site activities such as grinding and cutting of materials have the potential to create dust which is hazardous to your health. The level of risk to your health depends on the type and amount of dust inhaled, the size of the dust particles and how well your lungs are able to remove the dust.
If there is a risk of exposure to dust in the workplace, employers must control or minimise these risks where possible. Excessive exposure to dust, will result in employees developing illnesses such as bronchial problems, skin conditions and potentially cancer.
From a legal point of view, employers and their employees have to comply with The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 (COSHH). Our dust toolbox talk helps employers keep their employees safe and reduce health and safety issues in workplaces within a dusty environment.
Other relevant toolbox talks which are beneficial to health and safety when working in dusty environments are, but not limited to housekeeping toolbox talk, COSHH toolbox talk, eye protection toolbox talk and rpe toolbox talk.
Items Covered in the Dust Toolbox Talk
Our dust toolbox talk is split up in following sections:
- Introduction: Provides an overview of what impact excessive exposure to dust can have.
- The Dangers: This section describes the hazards for workplaces within a dusty environment.
- Control Measures: Defines the precautions and actions that should be taken to reduce the airborne amount of dust on site.
- The Law: List regulations that employers are obligated to comply with when their employees work with substances which is hazardous to health.
- Toolbox Talk Questions: Includes a few questions to assess attendees understanding of the dust toolbox talk.
Each of our toolbox talks include an additional page where relevant dangers on site can be identified and discussed, together with an attendance list where participants can be recorded and sign.
Purchase our Dust Toolbox Talk to keep your employees safe, or take advantage of our toolbox talk packages which contains a range of our toolbox talks at a reduced price.