Fatigue is the state of feeling very tired, exhausted, or sleepy. It is a result of lack of sleep and rest. Extended periods of mental activity or long periods of stress increases the risk of fatigue, as do boring or repetitive tasks.
Did you have a good sleep last night and did you get enough sleep? The majority of the population need 7-8 hours of sleep each day. If you have a continuous lack of or improper sleep, it builds up over time.
Lack of sleep results in slower reaction times and the inability to concentrate and make reasonable decisions. Fatigue increases the risk of injuries to yourself and other if not managed properly.
Symptoms of fatigue include, but are not limited to, trouble thinking, moodiness, burning or itching eyes, headaches, heavy eyelids, trouble focusing, back, neck and muscle pain
Employers are obligated to comply with regulations such as Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999. These regulations make it mandatory to assess the hazards and risks related to fatigued employees in the workplace.
Our fatigue toolbox talk helps keep employees safe and reduce health and safety issues in workplaces. If you are considering our fatigue toolbox talk, our Stress Toolbox Talk might be of interest to you as well.
Items Covered in the Fatigue Toolbox Talk
Our fatigue toolbox talk is split up in following sections:
- Introduction: Introduction to fatigue and the symptoms.
- The Hazards: Outlines the hazards associated with fatigued employees in the workplace.
- Control Measures: Define the controls that can be used to reduce the level of fatigue for employees.
- The Law: List the regulations relevant to identifying the risks related to fatigue in the workplace.
- Toolbox Talk Questions: Include a few questions to validate attendees understanding of the fatigue toolbox talk.
Each of our toolbox talks include an additional page where relevant hazards on site can be identified and discussed, together with an attendance list where participants can be recorded and sign.
Purchase our Fatigue Toolbox Talk to keep your employees safe, or take advantage of our toolbox talk packages which contains a range of our toolbox talks at a reduced price.