Silica is a natural substance found in most types of rocks, sand and clay. The amount vary type to type, e.g. sandstone contains over 70% silica and granite around 15-30%. Silica is also found in a lot of construction materials such as bricks, tiles, concrete and mortar.
During tasks where these are processed in any way i.e. cutting, grinding, blasting and jackhammering amongst others, dust containing crystalline silica can be released into the air and damage your health if not protected.
Silica dust particles act as tiny blades on the lungs. These particles create small cuts that can scar the lung tissue when inhaled, making breathing more difficult.
From a legal point of view, employers and their employees have to comply with The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 (COSHH). Our silica dust toolbox talk helps employers keep their employees safe and reduce health and safety issues related to working with stone, concrete, glass, or other forms of rock.
Items Covered in the Silica Dust Toolbox Talk
Our silica dust toolbox talk is split up in following sections:
- Introduction: Provides a summary of what silica is and how it can have a significant impact on your health.
- The Dangers: This section describes the health & safety risks associated with working with different types of rock material that release silica dust when processed.
- Control Measures: Defines the precautions that should be taken to reduce the risk of silicosis when working with rock materials.
- The Law: List regulations that employers are obligated to comply with, when working with substances such as silica which is hazardous to health.
- Toolbox Talk Questions: Includes a few questions to assess attendees understanding of the silica dust toolbox talk.
Each of our toolbox talks include an additional page where relevant dangers on site can be identified and discussed, together with an attendance list where participants can be recorded and sign.
Purchase our Silica Dust Toolbox Talk to keep your employees safe, or take advantage of our toolbox talk packages which contains a range of our toolbox talks at a reduced price.