Abrasive wheels are powered wheels used in workshop grinder machines (fixed or portable), and are made up of small abrasive particles (grit) that have been stuck together by a bonding material to form wheel structures of different type and size.
You would use an abrasive wheel for surface modification or cutting by grinding. Some are used for polishing, deburring, sanding and finishing.
When working with abrasive wheels, employers and employees are required to follow the regulations Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 and The Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations 1992. Our abrasive wheels toolbox talk helps employers keep their employees safe and stay compliant with the law.
Due to the nature of work carried out with abrasive wheels, PPE should always be used. Based on this our PPE Toolbox Talk might be of interests as well. Other relevant hazards where additional toolbox talks are beneficial is for awareness of noise, dust and vibration.
Items Covered in the Abrasive Wheels Toolbox Talk
Our abrasive wheels toolbox talk is split up in following sections:
- Introduction: Provides an overview of what abrasive wheels is.
- The Dangers: This section covers the health & safety risks when working with abrasive wheels (fixed or portable).
- Control Measures: Outline controls that can be used to eliminate and/or reduce hazards related to working with abrasive wheels.
- The Law: List regulations that employers are obligated to comply with when working with abrasive wheels.
- Toolbox Talk Questions: Includes a few questions to assess attendees understanding of the toolbox talk on abrasive wheels.
Each of our toolbox talks include an additional page where relevant dangers on site can be identified and discussed, together with an attendance list where participants can be recorded and sign.
Purchase our Abrasive Wheels Toolbox Talk to keep your employees safe, or take advantage of our toolbox talk packages which contains a range of our toolbox talks at a reduced price.