The law says that ladders can be used for work at height when a risk assessment has shown, that using equipment offering a higher level of fall protection is not justified because of the low risk and short duration of use; or there are existing workplace features which cannot be altered.
As a guide, if your task would require staying up a leaning ladder or stepladder for more than 30 minutes at a time, it is recommended that you consider alternative equipment.
A fall from a ladder often result in a serious accident and can often be prevented if proper precautions is taken. From a legal point of view, work on ladders comes under the Work at Height Regulations 2005. There are several controls that should be considered when using ladders for work and a risk assessment should always be conducted prior to use.
Our ladder toolbox talk helps employers keep their employees safe and reduce accidents related to use of ladders within your workplace.
If you are considering our ladder toolbox talk, our Step Ladder Toolbox Talk and Hop Ups Toolbox Talk might be of interest to you as well.
Items Covered in the Ladder Toolbox Talk
Our ladder toolbox talk is split up in following sections:
- Introduction: Provides an overview of when ladders can or should not be used to carry out a task.
- The Dangers: This section covers the health & safety risks associated with the use of a ladder.
- Pre Use Check: Outline the checks that should be taken prior to using any ladder.
- Control Measures: Outline controls that can be used to eliminate and/or reduce hazards related to use of ladders in the workplace.
- The Law: List regulations that employers are obligated to comply with in regards to use of ladders.
- Toolbox Talk Questions: Includes a few questions to assess attendees understanding of the toolbox talk.
Each of our toolbox talks include an additional page where relevant dangers on site can be identified and discussed, together with an attendance list where participants can be recorded and sign.
Purchase our Ladder Toolbox Talk to keep your employees safe, or take advantage of our toolbox talk packages which contains a range of our toolbox talks at a reduced price.