A forklift is a powered truck used to carry, lift, stack or tier materials. They can be powered by electric battery or combustion engines depending on the environment in which they are used.
Forklifts are excellent devices to help move items around. They save time and manual resource, as well as reduce the risk of injuries associated with manual handling. However, forklifts can be dangerous machines if operated by reckless or untrained operators.
If the hazards associated with use of forklifts are not addressed and proper controls implemented, it can result in fatality and severe injuries.
Our forklift toolbox talk helps keep employees safe and reduce health and safety issues in workplaces where forklifts are used as part of the daily work.
When using a forklift in connection with work, then you are obligated to comply with regulations such as Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 and Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment at Work Regulations 1998 (LOLER). They ensure employers assess and mitigate risks associated with use of forklifts and that the equipment is inspected at planned intervals.
Items Covered in the Forklift Toolbox Talk
Our forklift toolbox talk is split up in following sections:
- Introduction: Introduction to forklifts and how they are used.
- The Hazards: Outlining some of the common hazards when using a forklift.
- Control Measures: Defining what to do and not to do when operating or lifting goods with a forklift.
- The Law: List the regulations relevant to use of a forklift in the working place.
- Toolbox Talk Questions: Include a few questions to validate attendees understanding of the forklift toolbox talk.
Each of our toolbox talks include an additional page where relevant hazards on site can be identified and discussed, together with an attendance list where participants can be recorded and sign.
Purchase our Forklift Toolbox Talk to keep your employees safe, or take advantage of our toolbox talk packages which contains a range of our toolbox talks at a reduced price.